Friday, August 1, 2008

- Acid Reflux.

Acid Reflux

Def:- Acid Reflux is a common irritation of the walls of the esophagus after eating.

Commonly called "Heart Burn" as it give epigastric burning sensation.

- Incompetent Lower espohageal sphincter ( LES)which fail to close during digestion.
a properly functioning sphincter, holds food and acid away from the esophagus during the digestion process.

-For acid reflux to occur, the LES relaxes, thereby allowing the food and acid to seep into the esophagus. The acid seepage in turn causes irritation or burning. Secondary peristalsis, or the movement of the esophagus caused by swallowing pushes about 90% of the food and acid back into the stomach. The LES closes again for normal digestion. The remaining 10% of food and acid left in the esophagus is neutralized by saliva.
-While many people experiences with acid reflux is asymptomatic, acid reflux can be part of a larger problem. Acid reflux is lumped into a much larger category called Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease or GERD. According to, this is "Any symptomatic clinical condition or change in tissue structure that results from the reflux of stomach or duodenal contents into the esophagus."

GERD is said to be caused by many different factors:-
- transient LES relaxation,
- decreased LES resting tone,
- impaired esophageal clearance,
- delayed gastric emptying,
- decreased salivation,
- impaired tissue resistance.

An individual's lifestyle can also be a factor in causing this condition:-
- large meals,
- fatty foods,
- caffeine,
- pregnancy,
- obesity,
- body position,
- drugs,
- hormones may all exacerbate GERD.
- hiatal hernia frequently accompanies severe GERD.
- wearing tight clothing
- lying down after a meal
- bending over can help trigger acid reflux.

With my best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice to see your comment here........